Saturday, August 15, 2009

Wrapped in Fire Agate




My Dad was a man of simple taste yet boastful. He liked what he liked and one thing he liked was jewelry. His love was Silver and Fire Agate. Sometimes I think he picked certain pieces because they were the flashiest or the largest. He was certainly the center of attention when he wanted to be. That was quite often. When he did something he did it big or he didn't bother. My Dad was such a card. He could make you laugh at a funeral on Christmas morning.

Anyway, he had the most gorgeous bracelet with 5 stunning, fiery fire agates. When he died, I
could not wear it. It was a massive piece. It was wide (which I love but it was large, too large) so
Ron took the 5 stones out for me and put them in a safe place for the day I decide how I want
them set.

One piece of jewelry he did leave behind when he passed on to a better place was a Fire Agate
ring. It isn't particularly well crafted but the stone is just gorgeous. He wore that ring often even
though he had rather unattractive hands. When he was a kid, I think the age of 11 (younger than my son), he was working at the cotton gin with his Dad. His Dad was what I would call an ass. At
least at that time in his life he was. Anyway, my Dad cut a huge chunk out of his thumb with some piece of machinery. His Dad told him to suck it up and keep working. I guess times were different then but again, what an ass. One of the other workers saw my Dad bleeding all over and figued he best get him to the hospital. From that accident he had a skin graph on the thumb. They didn't have a plastic surgeon so of course it stuck out like a sore thumb (I'm sorry. I couldn't resist that one). But back to the ring, the colors go so deep they seem endless. He died on September 7,

1987. I have missed him every day since. This ring I could wear after Ron resized it. Until I decided to write this I had sort of forgotten the ring. It's not that I didn't want to wear it. It's a bit too large for day to day. I seem to get lazy about my jewelry. Daily life can be hectic so sometimes I might

not put ANY on. Stay tuned for what was in that puff of kleenex in my next blog...til then...

No comments:

Post a Comment